One of our favourite plants to forage for at Nomadic is Stinging Nettles. People are often put off picking them as they sting (the clue is in the name) but if picked correctly you can avoid those nasty barbs.
Nettles are a nutritious and versatile plant that can be used in various dishes. They are a great source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, calcium, and vitamin C. Here are five delicious nettle recipes to try:
1. Nettle Soup: Nettle soup is a classic dish that is easy to make and delicious. Simply sauté onions and garlic with chopped nettles, add vegetable broth, and simmer until the nettles are tender. Blend the soup until smooth, and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or yoghurt.
2. Nettle Pesto: Nettle pesto is a twist on the classic basil pesto and is perfect for pasta or as a spread on sandwiches. Blend blanched nettles with garlic, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and olive oil until smooth. This pesto has a nutty flavour and a beautiful green colour.
3. Nettle Tea: Nettle tea is a simple and soothing drink that can be enjoyed hot or cold. Simply steep dried nettles in hot water for 10-15 minutes, strain, and add honey or lemon if desired. Nettle tea is a great way to boost your immune system and improve digestion.
4. Nettle Frittata: Nettle frittata is a delicious and healthy breakfast or brunch dish. Simply sauté chopped nettles with onions and garlic, add beaten eggs, and cook until set. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Nettle and Potato Gratin: Nettle and potato gratin is a comforting and hearty dish that is perfect for cooler weather. Layer sliced potatoes and blanched nettles in a baking dish, add cream and bake until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
In conclusion, nettles are a nutritious and versatile plant that can be used in various dishes. From soups to teas to frittatas, nettles add a unique flavour and a boost of nutrients to any meal. Try one of these five nettle recipes and enjoy the benefits of this amazing plant.